Hello everyone and welcome back ! Today we are making yummy small brown lentils, these are really high in protein. In our south asian culture these lentils are usually served with fresh rice and salads. The key is to have best tasting lentils …The south asian stores usually have big size lentils available , there is definitely a difference in taste so be careful what and where you are buying from. Smaller lentils are the best , I bought mine from amazon. These are Non-GMO Project Verified , 100% Non-Irradiated, Certified Kosher and grown right here in the USA. I will post the direct link below if you are interested , I hope you enjoy this recipe and don’t forget to watch the video below.
Buy the lentils here Palouse Brand USA Grown
WHAT YOU NEED
- Onion 1 small (slices)
- Garlic 5-6 cloves ( chopped )
- Lentils 1 cup
- Water 6 cups
- Sunflower Oil 1/2 cup
- Cilantro For Garnish
- Red Pepper 1/2 TSP or per taste
- Himalayan Salt 1-1/2 TBSP or per taste
- Turmeric 1/2 TSP
- Crushed Red Pepper 1/2 TSP or per taste
- Add water to pot
- Bring to boil
- While you wait for water to boil –Add washed brown lentils to the water
- Add spices
- Once water boils , cover the pan on medium heat
- Let it cook for 30-40 min
- Check occasionally and stir the lentils.
- After 30 min check lentils if soft means you are done.
- For gravy its up to you .. if you want less water and more softer lentils let it cook more until more water evaporates , If you think you wanted more gravy you may add hot water to create extra gravy.
- Prepare Tadka
- Add oil in a pan
- Add garlic and onions
- Fry until golden brown.
- Add Tadka to lentils.
- Garnish with Cilantro
- Enjoy with fresh rice , chutney and salad.
Thanks for reading you guys !
All images © 2014-2018 Naila K
830 total views, 6 views today