Benefits of Bitter Gourd
- A great liver tonic
- Helps to get rid of acne and blemishes.
- Helps fight against infections
- Helps fight against cancer
- Helps reduce blood sugar levels
For the recipe you will need..
Please note that this is the amount I use for my recipe , you are always welcome to change it to your preference.
- Meat ( Lamb/Goat) – 1 Kg
- Bitter Gourd (Karela) – 1 Kg ( use the same amount for both the meat and bitter gourd)
- Medium Organic Onions – 2
- Organic Tomatoes – 3-4
- Ginger/Garlic Paste – 1 TBSP
- Turmeric (Haldi) – 1/2 TSP
- Red Pepper – 1 1/2 TBSP or as you prefer.
- Himalayan Salt – 1 TBSP or as you prefer.
- Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 TSP
- Cumin Powder – 1 1/2 TSP
- Cumin Who – 1/2 TSP
- Crushed Red Pepper ( Optional)
- Whole Spices ( Garam Masala) 1/4 tsp
- Oil ( I prefer sunflower oil ) – 1/2 half cup
Note: I used already boiled meat for convenience.
Prepare your Bitter Gourd before cooking : Cut your bitter gourd (karela) into slices rub it with salt. Leave it for 1 hour. Wash , squeeze and dry.
- Take one of your sliced onion , fry in 3-4 TBSP of oil till light brown and then place them separately.
- In the same pan , add 3-4 TBSP of oil again and add your sliced bitter gourd, fry for few min till lightly brown.
- Take your other sliced onion and fry till light brown then add ginger garlic paste then add meat and fry for few minutes approx. 5-10 min.
- You may sprinkle the pan with water if needed.
- Add all the spices .
- Add sliced tomatoes.
- Fry for few minutes
- Cover and let it sit on low heat for 5-10 min or until tomatoes turn into puree.
- Add green chillies give it a sprinkle of water if needed.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 10-15 min.
- Serve with roti.